I Hope You Dance

Thursday, July 02, 2009

Tested Faith

To new readers of my blog...you will want to read the post titled "There Are No Chance Meetings...." to see why I read the book, Tested Faith The Power of Mind Over Cancer. I finished the book a few days ago and would like to tell you about it. The author, Yvonne Williams was diagnosed with 3 different cancers and she tells of her experiences as she goes through surgeries, treatments and healing.

I really enjoyed the book. Some of my experiences are very much like Yvonne's and some completely different. Unlike the author, when I was first diagnosed I never felt any fear, depression or anger. It was just something that I knew needed to be taken care of so I could go on with my life. I think the time of diagnosis was what made a difference. When Yvonne found out she had cancer she did not know any cancer survivors and it was almost looked on as a death sentence. By the time I was diagnosed, there were many success stories out there.

What we did have in common was a wonderful upbringing in a Christian home. We were both taught to believe and have faith in God. I think that makes all the difference in the world and I thank God every day for giving me the family that I had.

In the book, Yvonne gives many Bible verses that say just the right thing. She also has many quotations that are real keepers. Even though I normally keep my books very clean and wouldn't think of writing in them, I will make an exception with this book. I plan to go back through it and high lite the Bible verses and quotations that I want to read over and over until I know them all by heart. She even wrote lines from old hymns that I have sang all my life and yet never paid attention to the words. I will listen to those words from now on.

It is a book I would recommend to anyone, not only those facing cancer. I am looking forward to reading her other book, It's All About the Shoes: Hope, Heartbreak and the Search for the Perfect Pair.

Something else I thought was interesting, since my meeting with the author was a little strange....she is from a Caribbean isle and so is my surgeon.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Interesting MaryAnn! I will have to go track this book down! Thank you for your review!

    love ya kid!

    Kat the Brat from Wa!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home