I Hope You Dance

Sunday, May 24, 2009

More Book Reports.........

It seems that all I've done lately is read. I checked my book journal and I've managed to read 10 books this month. If I keep reading like this I will start whittling down my stack of "to be read" books. I have so many books in that stack that I often forget why I chose them or who recommended them to me. It's hard to decide which one to read next.

After I read the 3 Montana Creed books I went to my bookshelf and wondered which book should I read next. I picked up Between Friends by Debbie Macomber. I checked out the reader reviews at amazon.com and was happy to see that the book had a 5 star rating there. I had read one other book by Macomber, Christmas Letters, and had written in my journal that it was a cute, quick read. I decided I would give the author another try. This was the perfect girl book for my generation. It was about friends who were both born in 1948. The story took them from birth to 2003. What made the book interesting was how it was written. The entire book was birth announcements, notes, letters, diary entries, journal entries, e-mail, etc. At first I didn't think it would hold my attention, but was I wrong! I couldn't put the book down! There were so many events, popular songs, books of the time, and other things mentioned in this book that it was like taking a walk down memory lane for me. I would recommend it to anyone born in that era.

Next I decided to read Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer. Last year the GRINS book club had read Spender's book, The Fullfillment. I found that book to be pure chick lit, boring and predictible. My friend Joy said we should read Morning Glory and see the difference in the books. There was all the difference in the world. How can one writer write such a lackluster book and then write one so good? This was a beautiful love story of two people who have had terrible childhoods and yet they find each other and build such a wonderful life together. This is another one that I recommend.

Now it's time to go back to the book shelf to see what will be next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home