I Hope You Dance

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Lavender ~ Birds ~ Blogs ~ Etc

Last night I finished the book, The Unlikely Lavender Queen, A Memoir of Unexpected Blossoming by Jeannie Ralston. This was such an interesting story of a New York yuppie who agrees, very unhappily, to move to Austin, TX with her husband. They moved there before Austin became a cool place to live. Then she again, unhappily, follows him to Blanco, TX where they live and raise lavender. All through the book I kept thinking of my sister's friend, Karen, who owns Alamosa Wine Cellars in Texas. Last year Faith and I visited Karen's winery and enjoyed visiting, looking around and tasting wines. When we were ready to leave, Karen grabbed scissors and told us we must cut some of the lavender that she had growing along the drive to their winery. It was my first time to handle fresh lavender and was such a nice experience to end our visit. To get back to the book.......Jeannie learns to love the lavender business and her home in Blanco. I would recommend this book to everyone, especially those familiar with the Texas Hill Country.

I have been watching my new bird feeders this week and have not seen a single bird stop by to enjoy them. One day a male and a female cardinal lit on a branch about 12 feet from the sunflower seed feeder and I held my breath and willed them to go have a snack. No luck, after sitting awhile on the branch they flew away. I may have to move the feeders to another spot that the birds like better. I think I'll ask the peeps in my online discussion group. They know everything! :o)

My good friend from Arkansas has started a blog, FlossieBlossoms . Susan is so talented and creative. I know I will enjoy, and hopefully be motivated, to check out her blog each day.

Our garden is doing well. The yellow crook-neck squash has many blooms and quite a few baby squash. I'm sure that in a few days I will have more squash than I know what to do with!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:20 PM , Blogger Susan said...

    Thanks for the book recommendation, MaryAnn! It sounds like just the kind of book I would enjoy and I love, love, love lavender. Did you know it is supposed to help you sleep? My mum keeps some under her pillow and I have some next to my side of the bed. It's in a tiny gauze bag and was picked by a friend of mine while she was in CO and then she added a few beads to the bag and sequined stars inside it. It's like a little smelly treasure! :)

    Thanks so much also for touting my new blog, you're a sweetie!

     
  • At 8:28 PM , Blogger MaryAnn said...

    Susan, it is supposed to be very relaxing, so I would think it would help you sleep.

    I would be glad to send you the book if you want it. Just let me know.

     
  • At 12:34 PM , Anonymous Jennifer G. said...

    I love Lavender also and putting it under your pillow sounds good.
    Your garden is really looking nice. Good job.
    It will take a little time for your birds to know your feeder is safe. I would leave it where it is. Then your mess will begin.LOL!
    J.G.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home