I Hope You Dance

Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Little Bit of Everything...

I kept thinking each day that I would post something here, but I never got it done. So I will just have a mixture of my life events this past week.

Nita and I arrived in Nixon last Saturday night, ending my leg of our Texas Tour. Nita stayed until noon on Sunday and then she left for another few days of traveling before going to her home in Sierra Vista, AZ. We had such a fun time and met so many wonderful members of our online discussion group.

I didn't do much for the next couple of days as I was ready to rest!
On Wednesday Dorothy and I had lunch together at the Tea Cup Café. Later I went to Dorothy's office to visit some more and to send off a fax.
On Thursday I had breakfast with Dorothy and Lisa. As usual we spent a couple of hours drinking coffee, talking and laughing. I then drove to Seguin to do some shopping. I needed to pick up a bottle of wine for the WOW Bunch get-together later that evening.

Did I have fun that night with the WOW Bunch!!! We were each supposed to bring a bottle of white wine. I took Toad Hollow Unoaked Chardonnay. We tasted all the wines and tasted some a few more times, LOL. Then we rated the wines. Mine wasn't the worst, but it was the next to worst. I can't remember which one won the wurst honors, but it was as sweet as syrup and I could only take 2 little sips before pouring it out! Everyone liked my "Group Therapy" wine shirt. I decided to create a new shirt for each meeting. I knew 3 of the ladies there and met the other 2. It's a group that likes to laugh and have a fun time - my kind of people!

On Friday I decided to do some yard work. I re-potted some plants and did some more outdoors work.

On Saturday I rode with Harold, Loyce and the twins to a nursery near San Antonio. They bought more trees for their yard and more plants for landscaping around the pool. I bought some more potted plants. We got back to Nixon in time to go to a benefit BBQ for Jesse's aunt. She had a stroke less than a year ago and recovered from that only to be diagnosed with cancer. She has worked at the local bank for either 30 or 35 years and the bank owner and employees put on the benefit. When I got home I worked on my plants and then started mowing the yard. It had been over 2 years since I had mowed and I had never used our John Deere that we bought last summer. I got half the yard done and then called it a day. I picked some leaf lettuce from the garden and took it to my neighbors and visited with them for a little while.

Today I finished mowing the yard and did quite a bit of tree trimming. The yard looks very nice! I then sat on the porch swing and finished reading my book.

The Day The World Came To Town 9/11 by Jim Defede
This was a heart-warming book to read. I wasn't too excited about reading more about the 9/11 tragedy. I felt like I had seen and read all I needed to read on that subject. I am so glad that I did read this book!
As soon as it was learned that there were terrorist attacks, the US airspace was closed. Some planes on the way to the US were able to turn around, most had to land in Canada. This book tells the story of the 38 planes that had to land in Gander, Newfoundland. There were 6595 passengers and crew members in a town whose population was barely 10,000. Homer Hickam, author of October Sky said it best:
When you read this book, I predict tears in your eyes almost from the beginning, but they will not be tears of sadness or grief. They will be tears of joy and pride for the citizens of the little town of Gander, Newfoundland, who bravely stood up and said to the world, "Today we are all Americans."
I definitely recommend this book.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:34 PM , Blogger Faith said...

    Wow...I got tired just hearing all you did in one day! Glad you are so full of energy and feeling so good. That is a VERY GOOD sign!

    I just finished reading COMFORT FOOD by Kate Jacobs and loved it!

    Faith

     
  • At 8:48 PM , Blogger MaryAnn said...

    I'll have to check out Comfort Food. I read Jacob's book, The Friday Night Knitting Club

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home