I Hope You Dance

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

A Common Theme

You all know that I belong to a few "women's groups". You're probably tired of reading about them here. I think I'm not alone because there are so many books with that common theme.
A few I've read over the years are:

The Red Hat Club by Haywood Smith
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik
Circle of Grace by Penelope J Stokes
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells
The Reading Group by Elizabeth Nobel
The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas
The Blue Bottle Club by Penelope J Stokes
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares (not women, but teenage girls)
The Saving Graces by Patricia Gaffney
Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish
The Same Sweet Girls by Cassandra King

My friend, Lisa, has read several of these books too and at one of our bookclub meetings she made the announcement that she was not going to read any more books about women groups where one gets cancer and dies, since several of them ended that way. We all got a good laugh about that. Wouldn't you know that a month or so later I was diagnosed with cancer. Lisa and I still laugh about her statement and the timing of it.

What made me think about this is the book I just finished, The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. I had been reading it for a few days, a few pages at a time. Last night I really got hooked with the story and read until late into the night. Today I picked it back up and continued reading until I had read the last page. The story was about a group of ladies, with nothing in common but an interest in knitting, who formed a group that met each Friday night at a yarn shop. They really came to care about each other, but, wouldn't you know it.....one of them got cancer and died!

I'm beginning to think I should write my own book with a different outcome. It might be a very interesting story. I would definitely have to change names to protect the innocent guilty. LOL Would you buy my book???

I should add that each of the books listed above were very good and I would recommend them.

I have two shelves and a large stack of books to be read. I took one off the top of the pile to start reading. You guessed it....it's another women's group book, The yada yada Prayer Group by Neta Jackson. I'll be sure to give you all a review of this book when I'm finished.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:11 PM , Blogger Faith said...

    Please write your book. It's bound to be a best seller with a positive ending!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home