I Hope You Dance

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Wikipedia ?

Do you use Wikipedia.org? I find myself using it more and more. It's just so cool to have a question and to be able, with a couple of clicks, to find the answer. And Wikipedia always has a good explanation.

The last time I looked something up was last Saturday night while watching a Roy Orbison concert on PBS. I had always wondered about his tinted glasses and why he wore them. So I quickly looked him up on Wikipedia and found out, His trademark sunglasses were the result of leaving his clear glasses on a plane during a tour, leaving him with his sunglasses as the only prescription lenses available.

Another time I looked something up was during football season. Jesse and I were watching a game and the Cleveland Browns were playing. I got to thinking about their name. What is a Brown? And they have no symbol on their helmets. So I went to Wikipedia and learned so much. The franchise conducted a team naming contest in 1945. The most popular submission was "Browns" in recognition of Paul Brown, already an established and popular figure in Ohio sports. Brown at first objected to the name and the team selected from the contest entries the name "Panthers." However, after an area businessman informed the team that he owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers from an earlier failed football team, Brown rescinded his objection and agreed to the use of his name

I learned some more interesting facts such as:
The Browns are the only team in the NFL that does not have a logo on their helmets.
A 2006 study conducted by Bizjournal determined that Browns fans are the most loyal fans in the NFL. The study noted that Browns fans filled 99.8% of the seats at Cleveland Browns Stadium during the last seven seasons, despite a combined record of 36 wins and 76 losses over that span.


Another search was the result of an online friend posting a picture of herself and family members standing under the Angel Oak tree. What an awesome tree! I had to look it up to get the details and found out that:
It is estimated to be more than 1,500 years old, and is thought to be one of the oldest living organisms east of the Mississippi River.

I love technology and the fact that you can find any information possible, in the comfort of your home, with just a few mouse clicks.

So.....what tidbit of information have you descovered lately?

1 Comments:

  • At 7:30 PM , Blogger Faith said...

    This is the first time I have even heard of Wikipedia! I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks Mary Ann.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home