I Hope You Dance

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Tightening Our Belts

With the economy the way it is, Jesse and I have decided to try to be more frugal. We both know how to live this way.

When Jesse was growing up he hunted for a lot of the family's meat and then helped to butcher it. His Mom cooked everything from scratch and he helped her cook and clean the kitchen, so he became a very good cook. They also always had a large garden which provided them and their friends and family with plenty of vegetables.

In my home my Mom seldom wasted anything. She cooked from scratch and usually cooked what we could eat for that meal so that there was no waste. She even washed used pieces of aluminum foil and then smoothed and folded it to be reused in the future.

A few things we are doing to conserve are:

Buying generic items at the grocery store when it doesn't make any difference to us.

Jesse is taking lunch to work instead of eating out each day.

Raising our own veggies and canning, freezing and dehydrating what we can - plus sharing the produce with others.

Not eating out as often as we used to.

No more paper plates. (We used to eat almost every meal on Styrofoam)

Cooking more from scratch instead of buying prepared foods. (this is healthier too)

No more soft drinks in our refrigerator! (another healthier choice)

We are riding the motorcycle, instead of the car, when we need items from out of town. (of course it's more fun to do this!)

Making more meals out of leftovers.

I'm planning to start clipping coupons for the items we use. Our one grocery store doubles coupons.

We're seriously thinking about getting a converter box and doing away with satellite TV service.

No more buying bottled water!

I'm sure there are more things we are doing to cut back that don't come to mind right now. I would love to hear what you are doing to conserve, or any suggestions that you have for us to do. Click on comments below to type your suggestions.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Coupons is the top of the list and double coupons better. When I could afford the paper I collected all coupons and by the time I came out the store my bill was around $120.00 and I only paid $70.00. That was a $50.00 savings and every penny counts.I am really considering recycle bin diving to see if someone threw their paper out.LOL Think I'm kidding?Remember,I'm the rebel.
    I cook chicken and dumplings and freeze half. Chili beans and hamhock,freeze half. Spaghetti and freeze half.
    Mom used to make her bisquits from scratch and I started doing that when I got older. I finally found out 20 years later mom said make it easy on yourself and you can boil your chicken, dip your bisquits "out of a can" into flour and pinch bits off in the broth. Thanks mom 20 years later. LOL
    Sounds like you and Jessie have it under control. Keep up the good work.Things are tough!
    JG

     
  • At 3:27 PM , Blogger MaryAnn said...

    I need to take coupon lessons from you Jennifer! Would you believe that we can't buy a city paper here any more???? When fuel went so high they quit delivering here. No home delivery and no delivery to stores. I would have to drive 12 miles to get the Sunday paper that has all the coupons. I can get some coupons online.

     
  • At 4:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I don't know where to go on line to get the coupons but I saw a talk show and this woman paid almost nothing for her food with coupons and double coupons. It is surely worth a try. When you figure it out let me know because I am a "tard" and am doing good to check my email and write in your blog.You know how long it took me to figure that one out.:O
    No newspaper? Oh wow!

     
  • At 8:35 AM , Blogger Faith said...

    Google it! Type in "coupons for groceries" and hundreds of sites come up. Many say "free coupons."

     
  • At 9:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks Faith, maybe Mary Ann and I will get into something big going on here since I don't have a job either. It is really bad out here and anything will help.I also heard you can get free samples of things online.
    JG

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home