I Hope You Dance

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Comfort............

That's comfort as in comfort food. I've often heard the question asked, "What is your comfort food?" I could never say. Could it be fried catfish with a spicy breading? No, that's a food that I absolutely love to eat, and I would call it delicious food, not comfort food. I finally realized what my comfort food is and it started when I was a kid, probably around 10 or 11 years old.

I used to spend many weekend nights at my friend Jennifer's house. On day Jennifer ask me if I wanted an egg sandwich. I wasn't sure, as I had never heard of an egg used that way. I was hungry, so I told her that I would like one. She showed me the correct way to prepare our sandwiches, which started with melting some butter in a skillet, then adding the egg. After the egg was cooked on one side she used a spatula to turn it over and then squash it to break the yolk and let it spread all under the egg. When that side was cooked, she lifted the egg and placed it on a slice of bread, salted and peppered it, and then covered with another bread. The finished sandwich was then placed on a plate along with a dill pickle on the side. (all our food was accompanied by a pickle, LOL) Ahhhh that is comfort!

I still occasionally decide to make an egg sandwich. When I put that egg in the skillet it always reminds me of those fun childhood days. Thanks for the memories Jennifer!!!

Now it's your turn. What is your comfort food? Just hit comment and type away.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh wow, you won't believe this but when I STILL eat a pickle I think of you and our fun times when we were crazy. I have now moved up to the Kosher Dill. My egg sandwhich is still on and is still my comfort food. LOL! We haven't changed too much my friend and our memories are so special. Thank you for staying my friend for all these years. You are awesome and a blessing to me.

     
  • At 6:51 PM , Blogger Lisa Webb said...

    CHOCOLATE!!!!

     
  • At 9:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Mary Ann,

    I like eggs over easy, (cooked the same way-not runny) then I dip the buttered toast in the yolks...yum...
    Joyce

    comfort food for me would be stuffed cabbage, and maybe homemade split pea soup with sour cream.

     
  • At 12:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ha ha Maryann ...just had to tell you that an egg sandwich is one of my husbands favorite breakfasts. I made it for him two or three mornings per week. I do mine a little differently...I put meat of some kind, bacon, sausage, or he particularly loves spam, in the skillet and cook it and then crack a couple of eggs in there and scramble them and then let it cook. It ends up like a big egg pattie and I serve it on bread with a little mayo. In garden season, I slice or chop fresh tomatoes for his breakfast...

    Ruthie

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home