I Hope You Dance

Monday, February 09, 2009

The Fun Bunch

Women's Friendship groups are a big part of my life, and obviously I'm not alone. Yesterday morning I was watching Texas Country Reporter on TV. They had a segment about a group of ladies in Coleman, TX who get together everyday at 10am for coffee and visiting at the Owl Drug Store. What makes this group of ladies so unique is that they've been meeting like this for over 50 years! They all went to Coleman High School. They met to visit while dating, getting married, raising kids and now enjoying grandkids and waiting on the great grandkids.
They refuse to argue about politics and religion. They don't always see eye to eye, and have their little tiffs, but the next day they meet for coffee again and all is forgiven.

Photo courtesy of texascountryreporter.com

Seeing this TV show reminded me of the books that I've read involving women friendships. Several that come to mind are:
The Red Hat Club by Haywood Smith
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik
Circle of Grace by Penelope J Stokes
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells
The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble
The Saving Graces by Patricia Gaffney
Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish
The Same Sweet Girls by Cassandra King
I'm sure that I've missed some, but most of these were pretty good.
And I am now reading The Friday Night Knitting Club

2 Comments:

  • At 5:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I saw that show also, and thought about the yayas . We don't quite have 50 years yet, but it may not be long.

    Cathy

     
  • At 5:37 PM , Blogger Faith said...

    I envy your group. I do have a group of yaya's but everyone is so busy that we only get together once or twice a month. There is nothing like a small town community to create that feeling. I need to make friends in Sarasota where we will probably end up in a couple of years. Right now it's lonesome.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home