I Hope You Dance

Monday, June 07, 2010

Do You Believe? In Ghosts? In Spirits?

I recently read the book, The Sweet By and By. The book was about afterlife, believers and non-believers, spirits, ghosts, spiritualists and frauds. I wasn't sure I wanted to read about all of that, but am now glad that I did. It actually turned out to be a book about love, loss, death and grief. A really good book. It made me think of 4 stories that I would like to tell. So here they are:

Story #1 - My ex-husbands Grandmother: She was very old and we knew her time was near. She was still living in her own home, with a daughter living next door who checked on her regularly. One morning she told her daughter that John had come to see her that night and they had talked. John was her husband who had passed away many years before. The next morning she told her daughter that the night before she had seen Elder outside her window, looking in. Elder was her son who had passed over several years before. A few days later grandmother passed too. It made me wonder if her loved ones were really there waiting to greet her when her time came.

Story #2 - My Dad: He passed away in 1982. In 1987 we moved into the house that he and my Mom had bought when I was 5 years old. He had died in his bed, in his room, in that house. One day I was standing at the kitchen sink which had a window above it. Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone standing outside. I quickly turned my face so I could see who was there. But they were gone. A feeling filled my body that said it was my Dad. I saw that same figure several more times in the next few months. It always put a smile on my face as I thought he was watching over me.

Story #3 - My Brother Glenn: Glenn was a great brother. I always thought he had the perfect life. He was very handsome, had a great job, a lovely wife and 2 sons. He seemed to do everything right. He ran 5 miles a day, didn't drink or smoke, didn't over eat, etc. He started feeling bad and was soon diagnosed with cancer. He didn't last long after surgery and chemo treatments. He knew his cancer was fatal, so he made all the funeral plans so his family wouldn't have to. He wanted a closed casket at his service. While I was sitting in the church, listening to the preacher, I suddenly saw Glenn. He had on his jogging suit and running shoes. He had a smile on his face and was running through the air in front of me. Later the family met at his house to visit. I told my sister-in-law what I had seen. She told me that one of Glenn's requests while planning his funeral was that he not be buried in a suit. He wanted to be wearing his running clothes. I knew then that I really had seen him.

Story #4 - Jesse's Mother: His mother died after a long fight with breast cancer. The night after her funeral Jesse stayed at her house, in her room, in her bed. In the middle of the night he woke up to see his Mom standing at the foot of the bed. She picked up the covers and placed them over Jesse, and then she was gone. He felt that she was still taking care of him.

I don't know if these were hallucinations or wishful thinking. Maybe we really saw our loved ones. I guess we'll never know till our time comes to pass over. I do know that death is not the end for us. Its the new beginning.

8 Comments:

  • At 4:56 AM , Anonymous Rita said...

    WOW, Mary Ann! Those are so powerful!
    I believe...I always have.
    :-)
    Thanks for sharing these great stories. You made me want to read the book, too.

    Rita

     
  • At 11:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wonderful stories, Mary Ann. Thank you for sharing.

    I too, believe.

    Daisy

     
  • At 7:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Those are stirring, and I believe each of them. One of my friends kept seeing her cat Spooky in her apartment. Spooky had died a few years earlier, he had lived the last several years of his life with me. A week or two later she suffered a massive stroke and died a few days later. I know that Spooky had coe for her.

    Lynn

     
  • At 12:09 PM , Anonymous SHERILL KOENIG said...

    Thnak you for sharing these stories. There are certain people in life that I truly know have the power to see and feel things before their death and influence others with their presence after their deaths. My mother was one of these people. I have numerous stories I could relate regarding her powers but here is one. Shorty Montgomery ( her brother-in-law) was very ill in the hospital in Victoria. Living in Victoria, I was listed as a contact for emergency for him. At 5:30 am one morning I received a phone call that he had passed away. The funeral home in Nixon was called to pick up the body. My Mother had a hard time with the death of my father and I didn't want her hearing of his death from someone else as I knew she would be upset so I called my sister Peggy and told her to go to Nixon before Mother heard it from someone else. Peggy told my Mother that she had some sad news and my Mother said that she already knew. We immediately wanted to know where she had heard. She told us that no one had told her. She had a dream that she was still living in the house on the hill outside of Nixon and the phone rang. It was Shorty and he told her that he was ready for Doolittle ( my dad ) to come and get him. She woke up from the dream at 5:30 am ( the time of Shorty's death). This is just one story about my Mother and the things she was able to see and sense. There are many more.

     
  • At 12:31 PM , Blogger MaryAnn said...

    Sherill, thanks for posting that story about your Mom. She was a special lady and I think of her often. Not long ago I was walking at the cemetary and came across your parent's graves. There was a lovely silk arrangement there and I thought it was probably put there for Mothers day.
    I would love to hear more stories about Bobbie.

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    MaryAnn, I love these stories. I believe in Hellos from Heaven and I don't think there are any coincidences.

    I also just need to tell you that I found your blog a long time ago, before I joined TMH and I have had you in my thoughts. I hope you can feel the love and hope surrounding you.
    Love,
    Janet
    (Liv Makeegan)

     
  • At 11:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I believe you are now with the loved ones you told of here, Maryann.

    If you see my Glen tell him I love him and miss him dearly.

    I hope one day to see you on the other side.

     
  • At 8:13 PM , Anonymous Greta Seward said...

    Mary Ann, just now found your blog. Didn't even know that you had one. I agree with what someone else said - you're now getting to spend eternity with your loved ones who have left this world.

    Love you, girl. Thank you for your friendship/

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home