I Hope You Dance

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Three Cups of Tea & Girl's Day/Night Out

I have to report on another awesome book, Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. Greg was a mountaineer and he traveled to Pakistan to climb K2, which is the mountain that all mountain climbers want to climb. While there he realized that the girls of that country were not getting an education unless they were wealthy enough to be sent to private school. He decided to start building schools there, mainly for the girls. What an inspiring story! I can't say enough good things about this book, and if I ever win the lottery you better know that I will be helping to support this man and his mission to promote peace, one school at a time.
........................
Last Thursday, my Yaya friend, Elaine, picked me up and we went to her sister, Hazel's, house. It was good to see Hazel again. We had a fun time visiting and then we headed to downtown Cuero to eat lunch and shop. We ate at a neat little deli and shared a very large piece of cake for dessert. :o)
After shopping we went back to Hazel's to relax for awhile. Then at 5pm we headed to the Cuero Opry. We had a great dinner there and then listened to some talented musicians. The band was so good and the singers were great. There were two young girls who performed and they were so talented. I had to laugh at the song, My Heart Cracked But It Did Not Break, LOL Only country music has such interesting titles and lyrics.
We got home in time to watch the movie Sling Blade. I usually go to sleep during movies, but this one kept my attention. It was starring Billy Bob Thornton and I'm a big fan of his. While watching the movie we enjoyed a glass of wine that I had bought earlier at a neat little wine shop in town. I can't believe I stayed awake!
Dr Report: Today was my chemo day. I spent 5 hours at the doctor's office. It went by quickly as there were other ladies there to talk to. I also read quite a bit in my current book, Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich. This book is just as funny as the others. My doctor said my blood work looked really good. My red cells are a little low, but they always are. He said my protein level had gone down quite a bit. When you have cancer these levels go up, so going down is a great sign. Dr Raza said that no one would ever know I had cancer by looking at me as I look very healthy. I ask the doctor (who is from Pakistan) if he had heard of Greg Mortenson and he said he had read that book and was so amazed that one person can make such a difference. I am so fortunate that he is my doctor! I think he's the best in the city.
Oh yes, I gained 3 pounds this past two weeks. I was so happy to see the weight gain! Life is good.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:03 PM , Blogger Faith said...

    Sounds like you, Elaine and Hazel had a fun time!Glad your doctor report was good. You are an amazing person! Love you, Faith

     
  • At 9:59 AM , Blogger Gayle Commander said...

    I really like your Doctor too. Sounds like a nice Guy.

    I'm gonna try to find that book it sounds very interesting.

    Hope to meet you for lunch in Shiner again real soon.

    Gayle

     
  • At 11:29 AM , Anonymous Jennifer G. said...

    Glad to hear a good report on you and you keep up the good work. You keep eating those pickles and egg sandwiches. I am sure that is where you got your weight from. LOL. You hang in there and my prayers are with you always.
    JG

     
  • At 2:16 PM , Blogger MaryAnn said...

    Thanks Faith, Gayle and Jennifer.
    Faith, I'm just another sister when with Elaine and Hazel.
    Gayle, I'll mail you that book. Jennifer, those egg sandwiches are miracle workers. :o)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home