I Hope You Dance

Thursday, November 06, 2008

A Celebration of Life

I just returned home from a funeral that was truly a celebration of Phillip Nunley's life.

For some background information for those who didn't know him...... Phillip, his little brother, two older sisters, and his Mom moved here after the death of his father. The kids were all small. Phillip and my oldest son, Harold, were the same age. So Phillip visited our house off and on through the years. They graduated, Class of '85 and all went their separate ways. But, like my Yayas from the Class of '67, they stayed close, had class reunions, e-mailed each other regularly and still cared very much for each other. Phillip's little brother died in a tragic accident a few years later.

Phillip came home to visit his Mom this past weekend. He went to bed Saturday night and never woke up.

This morning when I arrived at the funeral home, one of his sisters told me that Phillip was different and his services would be a little different too. I was anxious to find out what she was talking about, but also had a feeling that it would be perfect for Phillip. The services started out with the Priest saying his part and saying a prayer. Then he said he thought a song would be next. Well, the song was Frank Sinatra singing New York, New York. You know the words, I want to wake up in New York.... The look on the Priest's face was priceless. He kind of rolled his eyes, raised his eyebrows and sat down. It was absolutely perfect. Everyone was smiling through their tears. Many people got up to say what they wanted to about Phillip. The main theme in everyone's words was that Phillip loved to make people happy.

Phillip left this life much too early, but he left a legacy of smiles and laughter. He will be missed. Rest in peace Phillip.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:22 AM , Blogger Faith said...

    My heart goes out to Phillip's mom. Linda Kay and I went to school together. She was so adorable. Many times I rode the school bus home with her and we rode horses. I can imagine that Phillip was like his mom. Thanks for your description of him.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home