I Hope You Dance

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Are You Superstitious?

Are you superstitious?

I think most of us are a little bit. It may be something that you've heard about all your life and so you don't really pay much attention to it, such as:

  • a black cat crossing your path being bad luck
  • find a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck
  • if your ear is burning, someone is talking about you.
  • if you break a mirror you will have 7 years of bad luck
  • don't wash clothes on New Year's Day, or somebody in your family will pass away
  • an itchy nose means you are going to have company
  • an itchy palm means you are going to handle money (I've recently read that if you scratch your palm then you won't get that money. I guess that's my problem. I'll have to remember that the next time I get a palm itch!)
  • A cricket in the house brings luck
  • And of course you have to eat blackeyed peas on New Year's Day, even if you hate them like I do.


I could go on and on and on.........
What brings me to the reason that I'm thinking about superstitions is a coffee mug. I was recently talking to one of my very good friends about the fact that I am funny about what mug I drink my coffee out of. I have lots of mugs and cups in my kitchen, but I always drink out of the same mug. If I pick up a different mug I always think that something bad will happen to me, or at least my day won't go as good as it should. I have no idea why that comes to my mind. It's not something that I learned from my parents or anyone else. It's just something I feel.
I was telling my friend that I used to have a coffee cup that I loved. It had a sign on it that said "Boneless Chicken Ranch" and there were chickens laying all around. They couldn't stand or walk because they were boneless. I had to drink my coffee out of that cup every morning. Even when it got a hair-line crack in it, I still continued to use it. Finally my precious cup was dropped, broken into many pieces, and had to be thrown away. This all happened in the 1980's and I still think about and miss that mug! Now is that crazy or what?


Last night my friend, Lisa, called me to tell me that she had found my mug on Ebay! So this morning I bid on and won that auction. Paid for it using PayPal and now I'm waiting patiently (or maybe not too patiently) for my boneless chicken mug to arrive.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Okay, I promise, I'm a very normal person. I think we all have little bizarre things about us that we normally don't tell others. I've told mine, well at least one of mine. Now I want to know yours.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:33 PM , Blogger Lisa Webb said...

    I am one of your very good friends? Oh WOW!!! You like me, you really like me!!! HaHaHa... Cute blog maybe one day I will join in the world of blogging.

     
  • At 8:07 PM , Blogger MaryAnn said...

    Haha Lisa, you fall in all 3 of my 'friend categories' mentioned in my first post - awesome, quirky and wild & crazy. Of course the last fits you the best!

     
  • At 11:44 PM , Blogger Robert said...

    I need a mug with an alarm on it so I can find where I set it down.

     
  • At 6:31 AM , Blogger MaryAnn said...

    Hey Robert! I'll see if I can find you an alarm mug on Ebay, LOL. My mug is like my purse - it never strays too far from me.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home