I Hope You Dance

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Shack

I recently read the book, The Shack. My friend and cuz, Maggie, loaned it to me. She had nothing but wonderful things to say about it and had loaned the book to several friends who felt the same way she did about it. I felt that the first of the book was very believable. I could feel the man's pain and sadness. But when he met God and Jesus, I felt like I was reading total fiction (the book is fiction). I just couldn't wrap my mind around the way God and Jesus were portrayed. I realize that they can come in any form they want to, but this portrayal just didn't seem real to me. I also felt there was way too much conversation.

Maybe I stretched the story out too long, as I spent 6 days reading it. Many others who loved the book read it in one or two sittings. So many others are so greatly moved by the book that I've decided that it was just me and not the book that caused me to not be as enthralled as others. I would like to hear from those of you who have read The Shack to see what you thought about it.

I've also recently read listened to the audio book Boom written by and also narrated by Tom Brokaw. I totally enjoyed this book. It brought back so many memories of the late '60's and early '70's. It was fun to travel down memory lane, and the book also filled in some information that I didn't remember about that time period. I liked it so much that I also got the audio book The Greatest Generation by Brokaw. I haven't listened to it yet.

Another audio book I listened to is The Same Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. This is a true story about how an upper-middle class couple became friends with a homeless man. The narrators were perfect for the job. I would definitely recommend this book!

I'm so happy that my chemo is wearing off and I am once again getting in the reading mood! I have just begun the book, A Year by the Sea, Thoughts of an Unfinished Woman by Joan Anderson. So far I am enjoying it.

If any of you have read a good book lately, let me kn ow about it in the comments section.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home